Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Updating and Exercising and Procrastinating

It's been a long time since I posted on this blog! And this isn't going to be interesting reading by any means, but I just felt like writing. Right now my daughter is playing play-doh, my son is sleeping, and I'm trying really hard to pretend that my house is not a complete wreck of a mess, that my floors and countertops aren't sticky, that the bathrooms smell fresh, and that the carpet doesn't have little bits of dirt all across the floor. It isn't really working!!

It's raining, gently, really more of a drizzle. Which really, is good because we had such a bad drought all summer and fall that we really do need to catch up before the growing season in 2011. But it's presenting me with a bit of a problem.

You see, on the way up to my parent's house the Friday after Thanksgiving, I committed to doing some form of exercise every day between now and January 2. I'd been doing really well all summer long, running/walking regularly with the kids in the double jogger, and had really improved my fitness and was feeling great. Loved doing it, and loved how I was feeling lighter on my feet especially. I was healthier! But then......Halloween happened, where we brought home more candy than we gave away, and I have absolutely zero willpower when it comes to sweets. So now I'm losing ground again and really not liking it. I'm sure the Thanksgiving holiday and all the eating that took place across 4 days has not helped me any. So, I committed to working on maintaining a higher activity level daily for the rest of the year.

My sister and her friend are doing the Jillian Michaels 30 day Shred DVD, together, but separately, and she was on day 4 or so and my mom, aunt and I joined her on Friday. It was pretty easy, or so I thought, until the next day where I was very sore! Saturday was spent mainly recovering from the shred and we did do some walking outside. Sunday was a flurry of activity helping with my husband's grandparent's 60th wedding anniversary dinner, but I managed to put the running shoes on and rather than riding in the car to Matt's parent's house, I ran. Maybe 1/4 mile?? But probably way less. Monday consisted of a small fever in the morning and pushing through trying to avoid sickness, thankfully Matt had already planned a vacation day that day so I wasn't trying to do it all by myself, but still yet very little got done in the way of housecleaning. My exercise was 45 minutes of walking, leading Ginger the horse for a Reins to Recovery riding lesson. Not a big exertion, but yet I felt it was good enough for someone who felt on the verge of sickness.

I feel fine today, and had thought that with the cold front coming through later tonight I would go ahead and run with the kids in the stroller this morning, but that's not going to happen with the way it's steadily drizzling rain. Maybe the weather will clear up enough later that I can still get that run in. But right now it's not looking good.

And so presents the problem that I'll be facing all winter - how in the world to get any exercise in while keeping everyone warm and healthy with the impending nasty winter weather to come?

Oh well, it'll get worked out somehow....I know I'm not the only one with this problem, and I sure hate to wish time to fly by any faster than it already does, but boy, I'll be glad when Spring arrives!